The University of Mumbai is one of the oldest and premier universities in India. The Directorate of distance education came into existence in the year 1972, which was later upgraded to the ‘Institute of Distance Education. The Mumbai university distance education is one prominent part of Mumbai University. The university has 5 campuses with 742 affiliated colleges and 55 departments.
Awards and Affiliation
- The university has gained a 5-star status for its performance in 2021.
- It has been accredited by NAAC grade “A++” third time in the cycle.
- The Mumbai university is among the top 100 universities in the NIRF ranking 2022.
- It bags in the top 500 universities in Asia ranking by times higher education universities in Asia.
- The programs offered by the university are UGC-DEB and AICTE approved.
- The University of Mumbai is the 7th University in the country which has started a Distance Education Program in a conventional setup.
A wide number of UG, PG, and professional courses are offered by the university. These courses are as per the AICTE standards.
|Course Name||Duration (in years)||Eligibility||Fees (INR)|
|B.A.||3||10+ 2 (any stream)||10,000|
|B.Com.||3||10+2 (any stream)||10,000|
|B.sc. (IT)||3||10+2 (maths & statistics)||50,000|
|M.A.||2||Graduation (any stream)||9,300|
|M.A. (education)||2||B.A. in education or B.Ed||13,000|
|M.com||2||B.com or equivalent||9,300|
|M.A./M.Sc. (mathematics)||2||B.A. or B.Sc.(maths)||10,000|
|M.Sc. (IT)||2||B.Sc. (IT) or Maths or B.E.||22,300|
|M.Sc. (Computer Science)||2||B.Sc. (CS) or B.E.||22,300|
|M.C.A.||2||B.Sc. (with maths)||31,000|
|PGDFM||1||Gradaution (any stream)||12,000|
|PGDORM||2||Graduation (any stream) + 2 year |
Admission Process for distance learning at Mumbai University
The application process can be online or the candidates can have the application form by visiting the university campus. The steps for admission to the university are as follows:
- Visit the website https://old.mu.ac.in/. From the right corner select the student and then the admission.
- The next page will take you to the registration. Register yourself before the application filling.
- Fill out the application form with the relevant documents (scanned copy).
- The student who has completed the 10+2 outside Maharashtra has to submit the document verification fees separately.
- The university also offers scholarships and prizes for the highest marks scoring students. These students are required to fill the scholarship for the purpose.
- At last, the application fees will be refunded if the candidate withdraws the application within 30 days.
Key features of Mumbai University Distance Education
Personal contact program (PCP)
The university offers PCP for some relevant topics in certain courses in Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, and Thane. The classes are conducted generally in the evening (6 to 8 p.m.) or on weekends or holidays. Though, the lectures are not compulsory except for IT, computer science, and MCA courses. The main aim of the PCP classes provides guidance to the students on difficult topics.
The assignments are given on a periodic basis for checking the learning of the courses. These assignments can be accessed from the student portal or from the website directly. The assignments are also evaluated as internal assessments.
Detailed online study material is available to download from the website. Different course material as per the semester. The study material also includes the audio/video lectures for more clearance of the doubts.
The university portal also has a question bank where the previous year’s exam papers can be found easily. These questions bank help the learner prepare for the exam as per the course.
The exams for the semester-wise course are conducted at the end of each semester whereas for the other course the exams are conducted in March/April. The notification about the exam details, date sheet, form, etc. will be notified on the university website.
University also offers a library at the IODL center at Vidyanagari. The library is open for the students during working hours on working days. Whereas during the examination the library remains open from 8.00 AM to 8.00 PM. Distance learning students can easily access to the library and read the books they want.
Placements from the University of Mumbai distance education
The university offers placement assistance to all its students. The placement cell in the university helps the students get good placement through placement drives, counseling workshops, and other events. It is an old university so has a number of contacts with good companies thus, the university act as a mediator between the student and companies and help them out.
The University of Mumbai is one of the prime universities in India. It is located in the financial capital of the country so mark more important. The courses offered for distance learning from the university will surely help you get a good career scope and future prospects.
Are you stuck in choosing the best distance university for yourself? then you landed at the right place. We at college compare has analyzed a number of colleges and bought to you best colleges with best courses. Just log on to the website and all your doubts will be cleared here.